Nagaenthran AL K Dharmalingam Testing Positive for COVID19
- The Singapore Prison Service (SPS) confirms that Nagaenthran A/L K Dharmalingam tested positive for COVID-19 on 9 November 2021.
- An antigen rapid test (ART) and a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test were administered on Nagaenthran on 8 November 2021. His ART came back negative on 8 November 2021. He was brought to court at noon of 9 November 2021. Upon receipt of his positive PCR test result later that afternoon, SPS immediately informed the court and Nagaenthran was isolated.
- In view of the situation, the Court of Appeal granted a stay of the judicial execution with immediate effect until all pending proceedings are concluded. Nagaenthran will receive medical attention and proceedings will resume on a date to be fixed, after Nagaenthran has recovered.
- Nagaenthran is well and asymptomatic. He did not report any illness prior to his court hearing. He is not vaccinated as he had opted not to receive any COVID-19 vaccine.
- SPS has informed his family and will continue to provide the family with the necessary support.
COVID-19 Situation in Prison and Added Precautionary Measures</u>
- As of 9 November 2021, several inmates and staff from Institution A1, the prison institution where Nagaenthran is housed, have tested positive for COVID-19. Affected housing units in Institution A1 have been locked down to prevent further spread of the virus. Nagaenthran had only transient contact with two staff who had tested positive.
- Given the number of cases in the community during this phase of the pandemic, more cases of infection are likely to arise in the prisons as well, and SPS has taken steps to ensure that the situation remains under control.
- As of 7 November 2021, 97% of eligible inmates have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and 90% have completed both doses. 99.5% of staff have completed both doses of vaccination.
- SPS will continue with our safe management measures to safeguard the health and safety of our inmates, staff, visitors, and partners. Staff and partners entering prison facilities must undergo ART twice weekly, while external personnel entering prisons on an ad-hoc basis are required to undergo an ART prior to each entry into prisons.
Singapore Prison Service
9 November 2021
 Institution A1 is located within Cluster A of the Changi Prison Complex, which comprises Clusters A and B. Cluster A comprises Institutions A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5.